On Tuesday 4 September SP Broadway hosted a Politics of Planning breakfast roundtable discussion with Deputy Leader of Guildford Borough Council, Matt Furniss and Lead Councillor for Housing and Development Management, Philip Brooker.
Those in attendance included representatives from CBRE, Cortland Partners, Savills, CEG, Scott Brownrigg, First Base, Austin-Smith: Lord, Indigo Planning and Pollard Thomas Edwards.
Cllr Furniss gave a summary of the Local Plan, while Cllr Brooker gave an overview of his Major Project portfolio, regeneration in the Borough and 5-year land supply.
Topics of discussion included:
- The Council’s open-door policy to developers.
- Speeding up the delivery of housing.
- The importance of infrastructure in enabling development.
- Compliance and monitoring of design.
- Guildford Borough Council’s plans to review and sell some of its surplus land.
- The Council’s stance on the height of new buildings to protect views.
- Development in the Borough’s rural villages.
Huge thanks to Matt and Philip, as well as to all of our guests for contributing to an engaging discussion.