On Thursday 17 January SP Broadway were delighted to attend a breakfast meeting with James Murray, London’s Deputy Mayor for Housing and Residential Development.
James spoke about his passion for affordable homes, and tackling the steep income to house price ratio in the capital. It was certainly apparent that the Deputy Mayor believes in the need to integrate infrastructure policy with that of housing, and where possible he encourages developers to bring forward the infrastructure first.
Other significant points raised included:
- The problems faced by Crossrail, but its importance in keeping London’s railway network up-to-speed.
- Land value capture as one of the tactics that may be employed to secure necessary funding for infrastructure.
- The benefits of a system whereby local authorities, the GLA, or the government play a more active role in land assembly.
- The delivery of affordable homes in London, with starts at an “all-time high”.
- The overall health of the private housebuilding industry in London.
- The need for all parts of London and the South-East to take on more homes, to correct the ever increasing affordability ratio.
Many thanks to Planning Futures for hosting such an informative event!